Ragú challenged bloggers to put their own spin on one of their classic dishes and create, what they call, a New Tra-Dish. I decided to take on their Upside-Down Deep Dish Pizza Recipe and gave it a Hawaiian twist with chicken, ham and pineapple.
This is a good recipe for a weeknight since the ingredients can all be ready ahead of time. This recipe just takes a few minutes on the stovetop, a few more to assemble and, finally, 20 minutes in the oven. For the chicken, you can use prepared chicken breast strips, shred a store bought rotisserie chicken, or bake frozen chicken with your choice of spices for 50 minutes at 375 degrees, shred and put away until you are ready to make your upside-down pizza. Lastly, feel free to add any additional vegetables, like olives or peppers, that your family enjoys or substitute kale (rinse and tear leafy portions off of stems) for the spinach.
Start by heating the Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce in a skillet. Stir in the spinach and stir occasionally until it wilts down. Stir in the chicken. Pour the mixture into your dish.
Top with ham and pineapple.
Get a helper to spread the cheese out on top.
Top with the pizza dough, sealing the edges. Bake for 15-20 minutes, then let stand for 10 minutes.
Hawaiian Upside Down Deep Dish Pizza
– 1 jar Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce
– 4 cups fresh spinach
– 2 cups shredded, baked chicken
– 1 small package (8 oz.) of cubed ham
– 1 small can of pineapple tidbits, drained
– 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
– 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Heat Pasta Sauce and bring to a simmer, stir in fresh spinach until it wilts down. Stir in shredded chicken. Pour mixture into 2-quart deep dish pie plate or baking dish.
- Top with ham and pineapple tidbits.
- Top with cheese.
- Place pizza dough over the dish, sealing edges tightly.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
Each jar of Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce is made with 11 juicy tomatoes making it its richest, thickest recipe* and is a great addition to many dishes. Need a few other suggestions for the dinner table? Visit Facebook.com/RaguSauce for more easy and delicious Authentic Italian recipe ideas. Find more recipes on Pinterest with the hashtag #NewTraDish, on Twitter with @RaguSauce and hashtag #NewTraDish and Facebook tag @Ragu and hashtag #NewTraDish.
Enter the Ragú Sweepstakes for a chance to win great Authentic Italian themed prizes, including a grand prize trip to Italy for a family of four at www.RaguSweeps.com!
*versus our previous OWS formula