I was in the mood for something sweet but couldn’t run out to get anything so I had to use what we already had in the pantry. Enter oatmeal bars! I thought bars would be easier to make while my little girl was awake. I could bake it all at once instead of having to keep on top of sheets of cookies and then come back later to cut them up. This is the first time I’ve tried something like this but I think they came out great; chewy, sweet, and tasty.
I started with this Cranberry Oatmeal Bar Cookies recipe then made some changes to suit both my tastes and what we had on hand. We’ve been trying to add flax seed meal to recipes when possible for both the health benefits for everyone and the lactation benefits (used in lactation cookies) for me. I got 16 squares out of this but that is plenty for this house.
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice mix
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, blueberry mix
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in microwave safe bowl.
- In large bowl, combine butter, sugar, egg, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spice mix, vanilla, and flour. Mix well.
- Stir in dried fruit, oatmeal, and flax seed meal. The dough will be stiff.
- With a spatula, spread dough evenly into a greased 8×8 baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
- Cut into bars when cool.
Thankfully, we have a cut out in the wall seperating the kitchen from the living room so I can let Kelsey play while I keep an eye on her. It’s funny to watch her when she doesn’t think anyone is looking. She talks to her toys, practices pulling herself up, and every now and then tries to sneak over to the dogs bed to check out his toys. (Just ignore the mess!)
Check out my ebay auctions! I am selling a Bernina, a Baby Lock, dance shoes, a round crib bedding set, and other items.
Find me on Facebook!
Linked up at Laugh, Love & Craft Share the Wealth Wednesday!
Linked up at TheFrugalGirls.com Thursday Chic & Crafty Party!