Ribbon Flower Tutorial

Ribbon Flower!

I love the look of flower clips and I had a lot of ribbon hanging around so I decided to adapt some techniques from some other crafters and came up with these ribbon flowers. They are pretty easy and don’t take very long to make. You can make them in any color or colors as you like to match any occasion or outfit. They also make great gifts – make a making flower on a pin or make a set to attach to flip flips.
Supplies:
  • ribbon (3/8 in width, any color or type)
  • alligator clips (I use clips from Sally Beauty Supply)
  • Button, patch, or large rhinestone
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • scissors
  • lighter

Begin by covering a clip with ribbon. This step is not necessary but it does make for a neater final product. My method: Choose one of your ribbons, singe the edge to avoid fraying and hold it in the clip. Run a bead of hot glue along the top and fold the ribbon over. Cut the ribbon to length to cover the portion of the back wear your fingers hold the clip, singe the edge and glue down. I like to leave the bottom open, or uncovered.

Next, cut 4 lengths of ribbon to about 8 inches.

Form a loop by overlapping the ends together and attaching with a dab of glue. Then, form the figure eight by placing a dab of glue inside the center of your loop (over where you just glued the loop together) and twisting the ribbon slightly as you press down. Repeat with three remaining pieces of ribbon.

Stack the figure eights into an *asterisk* shape, glueing to each other between the layers.

Finish the ribbon flower by adding a decorative center. In this tutorial I have used a button left over from another project but you could use a patch or rhinestone, whatever fits the look you are going for.

Finally, run a bead of glue on the top of your ribbon covered clip and press onto the back of your ribbon flower to create a hair clip. You could use a different style of hair barrette, glue to headband, or even a pin back for different uses.

I use my hair clips with crocheted headbands for my daughter.

Have fun with colors and centers! Check out this twist: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2011/08/a-new-twist-on-pretty-ribbon-hair-bows.html.

Linked up at TheFrugalGirls.com Chic & Crafty Party!

Advertisements

28 thoughts on “Ribbon Flower Tutorial

1. Shiloh Evans says:

Thank you for the tutorial!! I am a stay at home mom to a beautiful little girl ( and a 14 yo boy and a 10 yo boy but they don’t like to be called beautiful lol) I have made the flower clips for her and have been trying to figure out the ribbon clips :0) Now I can make them too!!!

2. I have made the clips on their own, but never a flower clip ( I keep spending money on them at all the cute online “bowtiques” Thanks for teaching me, and helping me save some money 🙂

• Holly says:

thank you soooooooo much for this adorable idea! I want to make some girls head bands, bows and clips and i just love this! i’m not crafty at all, but sure would like to be so this is a good start… i will let you know how mine all come out! I’m making these to sell at a craft show or on fb to raise money for our Disney land trip for Christmas this year! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

3. CHIQUITA says:

THIS CRAFT IS VERY NIFTY I WILL TRY THIS WITH MY 11 YEAR OLD AS A CRAFT FOR HER TO DO AND MAKE CUTE HAIR PIECES FOR HERSELF AND HER SISTERS.

4. Just tried this out for the first time! Mine didn’t come out as cute, but I used different ribbon, and I had a rough time with my glue gun lol. Thanks for sharing this though! I can’t wait to try again.

5. Amanda Harper says:

I love them! I have all kinds of that ribbon. All I have to do is buy the center pieces. My girls have long dark hair so I’m always excited to find and make new hair accessories for them.

• They are called Metal Double Prong Clips and I usually get them at Sally Beauty Supply instead of the alligator clips which have little teeth to grip hair better. I guess it is a matter of preference.

6. Kiki says:

Yet another awesome tutorial found on Pinterest! These are SO easy and so much fun to make! The sky is the limit, you can do multiple color schemes. The tutorial was so simple to follow & didn’t leave anything out. Thanks a bunch, my daughter will be so happy when she wakes up tomorrow & sees the ones I made!

7. Jennifer says:

That is adorable! I’m going to have to try making some of these. I’m determined to get my baby girl to wear headbands.